Getting ready to put your home on the market? You only get one chance to make a first impression. Make it count. Here are some guidelines on how to do just that.
1. When buyers are driving the streets looking at houses, don’t let an unkept lawn make them pass you by. Boost your curb appeal to cause them to stop and take a closer look. Keep that lawn freshly mowed and add some sod, mulch, plants and flowers to brighten it up. Also, be sure to pay attention to how your house looks at night. Installing new light fixtures and making sure the bulbs are working, can really enhance the house’s appearance.
2. Does your house need painting? Paint it, but be sure to use colors that will appeal to largest amount of buyers. “Little Pink Houses” makes for a catchy song title, but probably isn’t the best color to use to attract a wide variety of potential buyers.
3. How does the door look? Inviting or marred? That’s the first thing the buyer is going to touch before they walk inside. A new screen door, doorknob, or touch up paint may be all you need.
4. Once inside your property, the biggest influence to a buyer is cleanliness. Do a room-by-room cleaning and be sure to check the carpets. Do they need to be replaced or cleaned? If so, that may be a wise investment.
5. A cluttered house also makes for a poor impression. To make each room of the house look bigger, remove the furniture. “Less is more.” This also allows for the prospective buyer to decorate their new house they way they want it in their mind. And, just as you did with the outside, be sure to put new bulbs in each light fixture to brighten the interior.
6. The kitchen and bathrooms are very important rooms to potential buyers. Consider updating cabinets, counter tops and plumbing fixtures to make these rooms shine.
7. If you don’t have the budget for new fixtures or paint, keep in mind the little things can go a long way as well. New towels in the bathroom, colorful pillows that pop on the couch, and freshly cut flowers on the dining room table brightens any room and makes a nice impression. Wouldn’t that make you smile? It has that same effect on everyone.
If you’re ready to start the process of selling your house, I’m ready to help. Call me today to set up an initial consultation. 310-722-5959.
Click “follow” and “like” at the top of the page to subscribe to L.A. Real Estate 101, and stay on top of the L.A., and National, real estate markets.